Google
 

Monday, January 21, 2008

My 4-year old teaches you how to title your post

We, adults, grown-ups, big people, however you want to slice that one, have over complicated things. My son has two bears. One is a ridiculously non-bear shade of blue, the other says Awwww. Do you know what my son has named these two bears, Blue Bear and Awwww Bear. So when my son creeps to the top of the stairs (usually well after I have put him to bed), and tells me he wants his Awwww Bear, there is no confusion he gets exactly what he wants.
I am often tempted to create unique, clever, witty, titles. I in fact started writing blogs as means of moving my clever thoughts off of message boards and on to my own site. As I look back at my archives the first bunch had the same title, Just One Mans Opinion, with only the date changing. I don’t care how witty I thought it was, repeating it daily surely wasn’t. So then I came up with a unique title for each post, that seemed clever, that I thought would really have some punch once you read the post. It worked, sometimes, but sometimes my humor fell flat and even worse than that. How many readers didn’t even get to the post. When the headline doesn’t pull them in it doesn’t matter how clever you think it is. So when you are making the headline to your post, don’t make things more complicated than they need to be. Your post is for the content that keeps gets readers to subscribe and keeps them interested. Your headline is to help them find the posts they are interested in.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: